Thursday, March 14
Welcome to Climb Greece

Climb Greece was created along with the new Greece Sport Climbing guidebook to provide Greece climbing updates and news. Through Climb Greece and Climb Kalymnos, our vision is to inform, inspire, and make Greece an even better climbing destination.

Climb Greece is still a work in progress. Regularly updated features will include an interactive route and crag database, a Greece climbing forum, and up-to-date reports about climbing developments. Our goal is to make information about climbing in Greece widely available and easy to understand. If you don't find what you are looking for on Climb Greece, please let us know. Your feedback is very important to us.

Happy climbing!

Latest Comments
Weather

Santorini Climbing

Home Forum General Santorini Climbing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant

Hello to all,
    We have just returned from a tour of the Peloponnese and a few of the islands. One island in particular…Santorini…revealed much climbing. I would say there are about 100 routes. We were staying in Perissa at the Villa Dimitris. Out the window of our balcony spanned a huge wall of a limestone/marble mix of rock (I think). Upon further investigation we found bolted routes above the pier at the left end of Black Sand Beach. Each of the routes has an aluminum tag on the first bolt denoting the route number (San 1-7) and the grade. I got on the fives first. They were quite stout as were the 6s at the right end. In fact all the grades on the Perissa side of the mountain that divides Perissa from Kamari were quite stiff for the grade. The climbing was quite engaging and technical. The bolting was mostly well done although the first bolts were so high that it was nearly impossible to read the tags without bouldering up to the bolt.
    Unfortunately several routes at the eft end were rendered inaccesable due to huge piles of beach umbrella palm fronds and various refuse from the beach bars.
    Above Perissa about halfway up the wall there is a chapel. There is a side trail off of the trail to Ancient Thira that leads to this chapel (look for the wooden cross down the trail a bit). Just as you reach this chapel there is a sign board with a photo topo of about six or seven routes that have been installed on the massive and smooth buttresses and caves above and to the right of the chapel. To my eyes these routes looked utterly impossible. The topo gave no grades for any of the routes. Most were multi pitch.
    Continuing up the trail from Perissa to Ancient Thira at the col or saddle to the right of Profitas Elias and down another foot path to the left of the switchbacking road one passes a spring and a chapel to the first of the Kamari sectors. This sector has several 6s that are about 15 to 20 meters in length and are quite nice, though again, difficult for the grade. Further down the trail is a second sector with mostly 5s that are excellent. Also short. There are about a dozen routes here including a couple 4s on either end of the 5s. Beyond this is a third sector of 6s and harder routes that are quite hard. The paved trail continues down to the base of the auto road.
    In all we did about 27 routes on Santorini making for a very nice mix of touristing, beaching and climbing. Our favorite part of the trip.
    Apparently, according to the Terrain map, there is climbing on Naxos. The map makes it look quite extensive. We never visited the area. Is there any information on the routes? Naxos is stacked with mountains and lots of great hiking.
    I would be happy for any feedback or questions on the above. I hope this information is of some help to other climbers visiting Santorini.
    Thank you.
    Steve

Katie
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,
    there is a note about Santorini in our guidebook.
    However here you can find a full topo.
    It is in Greek but easy to understand with the photo-topos.

http://www.vrahomania.gr/%cf%83%ce%b1%ce%bd%cf%84%ce%bf%cf%81%ce%af%ce%bd%ce%b7/

Steve
    Participant

Thanks so much, Aris.
    Wow. There are a lot more than the 100 routes I had guessed at.
    There is a sector 4 on the Kamari side that we didn’t know about and it looks perfect for us. Maybe another trip?
    I’m curious as to why there are no grades for the huge wall routes above the chapel on the Perissa side. Have they even been climbed? Free?
    I hope your next guide to Greece covers all climbing destinations.
    What can you tell us about Naxos? We were there. The Terrain map indicates a sport climbing area. Next time we go it will be February or March. April was too hot.
    Is this the norm? Sonya is working on translating the information for me. I’m sure we and many others will appreciate the topos and route listings. Thank you.
    We love your country.
    We wish you well.
    Steve and Sonya

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
OR
The Guidebooks
Leonidio &
Kyparissi
Guidebook
Greece
Guidebook

Buy Now!
Kalymnos
Guidebook

Buy the Kalymnos Climbing guidebook here.
Videos